Friday, October 10, 2008

A Magical Apple

I'm beginning to think that in the saying, "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" they must be referring to a magical apple, because no matter how much fruit I eat, the time has still come.....I have a neurology appointment on Wednesday, the 15th, and I'm really wanting that magical apple because I don't want to go!
They will be taking me off of my current medications and replacing it with Topamax. It's not a new medication, but it's one of 2 AEDs (anti-epileptic drugs) that I haven't tried, so here we go! I've asked dozens of people that are currently on it and/or have previously been on it, what it's like, and no one has had any complaints, but nonetheless, I am still scared to death! I've been on Phenobarbital and Keppra for 8 years and even though it doesn't work 100%, it still works better than nothing, so it's still a comfort.........being taken off of it is something that is a HUGE worry to me! I am confident in my doctor's decision and although I have read terrible things about being weaned off my current meds, I'm trying not to be overly concerned! Pretty much, my body is so addicted to my medicine that coming off of it can be compared to a heroin addiction. Now, I know nothing about street drugs, but both of my medications are narcotics, so I'm sure they aren't too far off the mark when they compare it to that.
I also want to discuss the option of surgery. I'm not sure if I would be a canidate for it, but I would like to check into it in the event this new medicine doesn't do the trick! Please keep me in your prayers as I begin this VERY LONG process! And if anyone happens upon a magical apple that keeps the doctors away, let me know!

2 comments:

Christy said...

I'll be praying that this new medicine helps you and it isn't too hard of a transition. If you're ever feeling crappy and need some help, let me know and I'll be happy to come over!

Winnie said...

I know God is going to see you through this. We have prayed for a long time for something new to take the seizures completely away. I pray this is the one! If you need help during the transistion you know Dad and I are here. I don't know where the magical apple is, but you and I both know that God can do it! I will watch for the apple though! LOL I love you tons!